The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF) held its annual fundraising gala in St. Tropez last night, hosted by Foundation Chairman Leonardo DiCaprio and LDF Global Fundraising Chairman Milutin Gatsby. More than $40 Million was raised to benefit LDF, which is dedicated to protecting Earth’s last wild places and implementing solutions to preserve and save the environment.
Leonardo DiCaprio opened the evening with an impassioned speech about the Foundation’s work and stated, “Tonight’s event is about supporting LDFs
DiCaprio continued, “I’m incredibly proud to be part of a night that will allow us to do so much to protect the planet.“
The live auction event, presented by long-term partner Julius Baer and co-sponsors Chopard and Armani, opened with Leonardo offering several personal items up for bid, including his own Rolex Daytona Cosmograph watch
The event featured an extensive live auction of fine art, luxury items, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences conducted by Simon de Pury, some highlights of which included:
- Ownership of an estate home on Leonardo DiCaprio’s own Belize island, Blackadore Caye
, sold to Tom Barrack for over $11 Million. This was the first and only time that a private estate home was offered for auction on Blackadore Caye, which is being developed as the world’s greenest island resort. The remaining 45 estates will be offered by private invitation only.
- HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco donated several once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the auction, offering to accompany the winning bidder on each: An arctic expedition, which sold for more than $1.6 Million, and private diving at Monaco’sunique protected Larvotto Marine Reserve, which raised over $400,000.
- A private concert with Elton John sold twice for a total of $3 million.
- A limited re-edition of Rodin’s “The Thinker,” made in connection with the Rodin Museum using iconic sculpture’s original cast, sold for nearly $2 Million.
- Richard Prince’s “Untitled (Cowboy)” 2012 sold for more than $2 Million.
- Movie producer Harvey Weinstein donated a stunning collection of experiences, offering to have the winning bidder be his personal guest at the most coveted events in the world for an entire year. This included access to the Academy Awards, screenings and events at the Cannes Film Festival, the Met Gala, and White House Correspondents Dinner, a visit to a Weinstein Company movie set, and more. The package raised $1.1 Million.
- A painting by Rudolf Stingel sold to Len Blavatnikfor $900,000. Mr. Blavatnik spent over $2 Million on the night in he auction.
The gala featured a surprise impromptu performance by Elton John, who sang a number of his iconic hits, including “Tiny Dancer,” and a special performance by nine-time Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter John Legend. Supporters in attendance included Event Chairs HRH Albert II Prince of Monaco, Boris F.J. Collardi, CEO of Presenting Sponsor Julius Baer, the leading Swiss private banking group, Marion Cotillard, Phillipe
Since 1998, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF) has been on a mission to protect the Earth’s last wild places, implementing solutions that restore balance to threatened ecosystems, and ensure the long-term health and wellbeing of all its inhabitants.
Through grantmaking, public campaigns and media initiatives LDF, a component fund of the California Community Foundation, brings attention and needed funding to three areas: protecting biodiversity, ocean & forest conservation, and climate change. The Foundation works in close collaboration with a broad network of environmental leaders and experts, effective organizations, and committed philanthropists to identify and support innovative, results-driven projects in the world’s most wild and threatened ecosystems. Currently LDF supports over 70 high-impact projects in more than 40 countries around the world.
For more information visit www.leonardodicaprio.
About Leonardo DiCaprio
DiCaprio is also a leading environment activist, and serves as Chairman of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (“LDF”). He was recently designated as the United Nations Messenger of Peace for Climate Change and received the 2014 Clinton Global Citizen Award for his work to protect the environment and endangered species. In addition to founding LDF in 1998, DiCaprio also serves on the board of several environmental organizations, including: World Wildlife Fund, Natural Resources Defense Council, National Geographic’s Pristine Seas, the funders’ collaborative Oceans 5, and International Fund for Animal Welfare.
About Julius Baer
Julius Baer is the leading Swiss private banking group, with a focus on servicing and advising sophisticated private clients and a premium brand in global wealth management. Bank Julius Baer & Co. Ltd., the renowned Swiss private bank which celebrates its 125th anniversary in 2015, is the principal operating company of Julius Baer Group Ltd. Julius Baer employs a staff of over 5,000, including more than 1,000 relationship managers, and is present in over 25 countries and some 50 locations.